The Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri is one of the most popular destinations for boating and water activities in the United States. Whether you own a lakefront property or enjoy visiting the Lake for an extended vacation, having a high-quality and durable dock is essential for a safe and enjoyable boating experience. Here are important tips on building a high-quality dock on Lake of the Ozarks
High-Quality Materials for Long-Lasting Docks
When it comes to building a high-quality dock on Lake of the Ozarks or renovating an existing one, choosing the best materials and construction techniques can significantly affect your dock’s durability, safety, and appearance. When you hire a professional dock builder, you get the benefits of their vast knowledge of decking materials to help you choose the best material for your dock.
Here are some decking material options to consider:
- Pressure-treated wood is one of the most common and affordable options for dock materials. This type of wood is chemically treated to resist decay, insects, and moisture. However, it may require occasional maintenance, such as sealing, staining, or painting, to preserve its color and texture.
- Composite decking is a relatively new option for dock construction, composed of a mixture of plastic and wood fibers. It is highly durable, non-slip, and resistant to rot, mold, and mildew. It also requires less maintenance than natural wood, as it does not warp, crack, or splinter. Although it can be more expensive than wood, it is a popular choice for those wanting a low-maintenance and extremely durable material.
- Steel is a robust and long-lasting material for docks, as it can resist corrosion, impact, and weather fluctuations. Steel docks can be constructed in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. They can support heavy loads and various accessory options, such as boat lifts or swim ladders. However, steel can be expensive and requires regular maintenance to prevent rust and deterioration.
- Aluminum is another popular material for dock construction, as it is lightweight, durable, and easy to maintain. It can also resist corrosion and termites and be customized to fit specific design preferences. However, aluminum can be more expensive than wood or composite. It may require additional support structures to withstand strong winds or rough waves created by big boat traffic.
Sturdy Construction Techniques
In addition to selecting the right materials, choosing the proper construction techniques for your dock significantly impacts its lifespan and safety. A reputable dock builder has the skills and expertise to ensure your deck is constructed to the highest standards. For example, using sturdy pilings or posts to anchor the dock can help it withstand the weight of big boats and protect it from shifting currents or waves. Similarly, using heavy-duty connectors or fasteners can prevent the splitting or loosening of the dock components.
Proper Dock Maintenance
Proper maintenance is one of the most critical factors determining your dock’s longevity and safety. Depending on your dock’s size, construction material, and location, you may need to maintain it annually or more frequently, especially in harsh weather conditions. Some essential dock maintenance tasks include:
- Inspect the dock for wear and tear signs, such as cracked or rotten boards, unstable pilings or supports, and rusted or corroded hardware. These issues can compromise the structural integrity and safety of your dock. They may require costly repair or replacement by a professional dock builder.
- Look for signs of damage from the elements, such as sun, wind, and water. Exposure to UV rays can cause your dock’s wood, plastic, or composite materials to fade, warp, or crack over time. Similarly, water can penetrate the dock’s surface and cause mold, mildew, or rot.
- To protect your deck from damaging elements, you may need to treat your dock with various protective coatings, such as stains, paints, sealers, or waterproofing solutions. You can also install accessories like canopy covers or umbrellas to provide shade and prevent direct sunlight from damaging your dock.
Hire a Trusted Dock Builder
If you want your dock to be safe, durable, and aesthetically pleasing, it’s important to ensure that it’s built to the highest standards. That’s why working with an experienced and reliable dock builder is vital. A reputable dock builder can offer custom design and installation services tailored to your unique needs and preferences and provide ongoing maintenance and repair as needed. Hiring a local experienced dock builder gives you peace of mind that your deck will be constructed to withstand the conditions at the Lake of the Ozarks for years of enjoyment.
Qualities to Look for in A Professional Dock Builder
A professional dock builder can help you navigate the many factors involved in creating a high-quality and durable dock on Lake of the Ozarks. With help from an expert dock builder, you can enjoy a safe, functional, and beautiful dock for years.
When choosing a dock builder, there are several factors to consider including:
- A proven track record of excellence in the industry.
- Positive customer reviews.
- A diverse portfolio of dock projects.
- Expertise in the materials and construction techniques you prefer.
- The ability to obtain permits and approvals from local authorities.
- Experience in selecting high-quality materials.
- Experience in designing docks to ensure compliance with all safety codes and regulations.
Building a high-quality dock on Lake of the Ozarks requires a combination of proper maintenance, top materials, and construction techniques. Collaboration with a trusted dock builder is essential. Investing in these elements ensures that your dock becomes a secure and enjoyable addition to your waterfront property, providing access to the Lake and enhancing the value of your real estate investment.
RT Construction Focuses on Safety and Craftsmanship
All docks at the Lake of the Ozarks require a permit prior to placement following the permitting process. Dock proposals must also follow Ameren Missouri’s permitting guidelines for proper construction and placement. RT Construction understands and ensures that all safety regulations are followed to protect your family and property.
Are you in the market for a new dock for your boat, entertaining, or just relaxing on the water in the Lake of the Ozarks area? RT Construction has over 25 years of building experience, providing high-quality results for satisfied customers throughout the St. Louis region. We are now serving clients in the Lake of the Ozarks region. No job is too big or too small for our construction crews. Call 573-261-5225 to schedule a free consultation and experience our top-notch customer service.